Ballet was an etiquette before it became the art form we know today. The rules—or etiquette—are necessary in order to progress through all the elements that make up a class. Requiring dancers to uphold classroom etiquette teaches them respect for themselves, other students, their teacher, and the art form they are studying.
In order to maintain a courteous and professional atmosphere at LBS, everyone is expected to conduct themselves in a safe and responsible manner by following the rules. Students are expected to behave respectfully and courteously at all times.
- First and foremost–students and parents unable or unwilling to follow these guidelines will not be admitted to in-studio classes.
- Dancers are the only ones permitted in the building.
- Dancers exhibiting any signs illness will not be admitted to class. Please keep sick dancers at home.
- In-studio classes are for dancers, ages 5+, who can handle the responsibility of being on their own and can comply with the guidelines and social distancing. In-studio classes will be limited in size.
- There are NO drop-in classes! Classes will be offered on a registration only basis.
- Masks MUST now be worn at all times in the Studio–except during the actual Class.
- If you want to wear a mask during class please do so–it’s up to your comfort level. Social distancing of at least 6 feet between each person in all studio areas will be maintained at all times.
- Contact the office by email, phone message or the Contact Us form.
Important: if you travel outside of the area of VT, NH and ME (and even ME is becoming questionable) you will need to quarantine for 14 days or have a negative COVID-19 test before returning to the LBS studio.
Waiting Lounge and Facilities
The Waiting Lounge and All Facilities (which includes the upstairs hallway) is closed to everyone but the dancers.
Arriving for class
- Dancers may enter the building no more than 10 minutes before the start of class.
- Whenever possible, dancers should come dressed and prepared for class to limit the use of dressing rooms. Wear in – Wear out!
- Dancers are required to sanitize their hands before heading up the stairs.
- All personal belongings that includes coats and street shoes are to be placed into the crates in the dressing rooms. Crates are sanitized between classes, as are the barres, door handles and bathrooms.
- Bring water bottles filled from home – the water cooler will be available for filling.
- Have a hand towel and your own personal equipment – mat and theraband. No Sharing of equipment. Dancers are not to be barefoot – socks are to be worn for conditioning.
Leaving following class
- Pick-up at the entrance is within 10 minutes after the end of class.
- Parents/Caregivers wait in your car for your dancer to exit the building.
We will be following CDC cleaning guidelines. The studio and common areas will be disinfected and cleaned before and after each class. There will be at least 15 minutes between classes to stagger arrival and dismissal and allow for this cleaning.
LBS does not have a cleaning staff. To assist with the maintenance of the facilities, please clean up after yourself. Items left behind WILL be discarded after each class.
Dancers should bring water bottles – LBS Goes Green.
LBS is cell phone-free zone—turn off cell phones when arriving at LBS. If you must, please talk outside of the building. Any use of cell phones is absolutely prohibited in the studios or dressing rooms.
All wet footwear is to be removed when entering the LBS lounge. Only dance shoes are permitted on the studio level as dirt, rainwater, grime, and winter salt will damage the Marley flooring.
LBS requires that all students be covered by their own insurance policy. If an injury occurs it is understood that the student’s own policy is their only source of reimbursement. A Release of Liability Form must be signed before a student can participate in any class.
LBS reserves the right to cancel classes due to inclement weather.
All cancellations will be listed on the LBS website under Dancers’ Resources, on Facebook, and on our answering machine by noon of the day in question. (603) 448-5404.
Attendance: Attendance is crucial to the success of a dancer’s training. Absences and tardiness impede the individual student’s progress as well as affecting the class as a whole.
Dancers should be prepared, dressed appropriately, and on time for class.
Dancers arriving after a class has begun should wait at the door until they are acknowledged by the teacher before entering.
Dancers arriving more than 15 minutes late will not be admitted into the building.
Dancers if you must leave early, ask the teacher prior to class time.
Absence: If an absence cannot be avoided, please notify LBS by phone (603) 448-5404.
Dancers should not attend class if they are ill.
Class observation is not available at this time.
The Dress code is specific for each level. See Class description for your dress code.
Proper footwear must be worn for all classes.
Watches or jewelry are not to be worn is class.
Undergarments are not worn under tights.
For all ballet girls: hair must be worn in a securely well-made bun. Shorter hairstyles must be pinned off the face and neck.
The dancer may bring water bottles into the studios. Food is not permitted.
Dancers are permitted in the studios only when a teacher is present.
There are three dressing rooms; one for teen girls off the lounge area and Girls/Ladies and Boys/Men on the studio level. A bathroom is located in each dressing room on the studio level. They are not to be used for changing. The dressing rooms are not a lounge or a study hall.
Dancers should not leave or store valuables in the dressing rooms.
LBS is not responsible for items lost, stolen or damaged. Items left behind will be discarded after class.