Ballet was an etiquette before it became the art form we know today. The rules—or etiquette—are necessary in order to progress through all the elements that make up a class. Requiring dancers to uphold classroom etiquette teaches them respect for themselves, other students, their teacher, and the art form they are studying.
In order to maintain a courteous and professional atmosphere at LBS, everyone is expected to behave respectfully and courteously at all times.
- First and foremost–students and parents unable or unwilling to follow these guidelines will be asked to leave.
- Dancers exhibiting any signs illness will not be admitted to class. Please keep sick dancers at home and notify us of their absence.
- Contact the office by email or the Contact Us form.
Arriving for class
- Dancers should arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of class.
- Whenever possible, dancers should come dressed and prepared for class to limit the use of dressing rooms.
- Coats and street shoes should be put in the appropriate place in the lounge.
- Bring water bottles filled from home – the water cooler will be available for filling.
Leaving following class
- Pick-up is in the lounge within 10 minutes after the end of class.
- LBS does not have a cleaning staff. To assist with the maintenance of the facilities, please clean up after yourself.
- Items left behind WILL be discarded.
- LBS is not responsible for items lost, stolen or damaged.
- LBS is a cell phone-free zone—turn off cell phones when arriving at LBS. If you must, please talk outside of the building.
- Any use of cell phones is absolutely prohibited in the studios or dressing rooms.
- All wet footwear is to be removed when entering the LBS lounge.
- Only dance shoes are permitted on the studio level as dirt, rainwater, grime, and winter salt will damage the Marley flooring.
- LBS requires that all students be covered by their own insurance policy.
- If an injury occurs it is understood that the student’s own policy is their only source of reimbursement.
- A Release of Liability Form must be signed before a student can participate in any class.
- LBS reserves the right to cancel classes due to inclement weather.
- All cancellations will be listed on the LBS website under Dancers’ Resources and on the LBS Facebook page.
- Consistent attendance is crucial to the success of a dancer’s training. Absences impede the individual student’s progress.
- Arriving late is disruptive to the class already in session.
- Dancers should be prepared, dressed appropriately, and on time for class.
- Dancers arriving after a class has begun should wait at the studio door until they are acknowledged by the teacher before entering.
- Dancers arriving more than 15 minutes late will only be permitted to observe.
- Dancers if you must leave early, ask the teacher prior to the start of class.
- If an absence cannot be avoided, please notify LBS by phone (603) 448-5404 or by email.
- Dancers should not attend class if they are ill.
- Class observation must be arranged at least 24 hours before class starts. Please email your request.
- The Dress code is specific for each level.
- Dance attire packets ensure your dancer is properly fitted and dressed for class. The price of the packet will vary upon the need of your dancer.
- Properly fitted footwear must be worn for all classes.
- Watches or jewelry are not to be worn is class.
- Undergarments are not worn under tights.
- For all ballet girls: hair must be worn in a securely well-made bun. Shorter hairstyles must be pinned off the face and neck.
- Water and other liquids are not permitted inside the studios.
- Food is not permitted on the second floor.
- Dancers are permitted in the studios only when a teacher is present or with permission.
- There are three dressing rooms; one for teen girls off the lounge area and Girls/Ladies and Boys/Men on the studio level.
- A bathroom is located in each dressing room on the studio level. They are not to be used for changing.
- The dressing rooms are not a lounge or a study hall.
- Dancers should not leave or store valuables in the dressing rooms.